Reinstalling League of Legends
Re-downloading and reinstalling League of Legends from the latest setup file may resolve a variety of technical issues. New versions of the setup files are uploaded after every patch, so reinstalling the game from these files will result in a fully updated version of League of Legends. Reinstalling from the most recent version of the setup files ensures that any problems you experience with League of Legends are not caused by out-of-date or corrupted files.
The Hextech Repair Tool can automatically re-patch or reinstall League of Legends for you! You can download or learn more about the repair tool here.
Below is a walkthrough of the basic process of installing League of Legends on Windows, along with some common pitfalls.
Uninstall League of Legends
- Open the Start Menu.
- From here, open Control Panel.
- Select "Programs and Features"("Add and Remove Programs" on Windows XP).
- Select "League of Legends" from the list.
- Select "Uninstall/Remove."
If you run into problems uninstalling League of Legends, this may indicate a larger problem within Windows. It may be a good idea to run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.
Confirm that no League of Legends files have been left on your hard drive
- Navigate to the directory where League of Legends was installed (the C: drive by default).
- Delete the old setup files you used to install the game.
- Restart the PC.
Reinstalling League of Legends
If you have experienced problems reinstalling the game in the past, you may want to consider running a registry cleaner before reinstalling the game. CCleaner is a common registry cleaner that many players have found useful. You may also want to try creating a new Windows administrative account in the Control Panel to install the game.
- Download the latest version of League of Legends from https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/cs/signup/redownload
- Run LeagueofLegends.exe to download updated versions of our setup files. The setup files will be placed in a new League of Legends folder on your desktop by default.
- When the setup files finish downloading, the installation process will begin automatically. If possible, install League of Legends to the default C:\ drive.
- When the installation process finishes, the game's launcher will open automatically. If you need to open the game manually, please do so by double clicking the League of Legends desktop shortcut, or by running lol.launcher.exe in the directory to which you installed League of Legends.
Reinstalling League of Legends on Mac
Below is a walkthrough of the basic process of installing League of Legends, along with common mistakes encountered when trying to install the game on a Mac.
- Open your "Applications" folder (press the command key+Shift+G, and paste in: /Applications/).
- Drag League of Legends from the Applications folder to the Trash Can on the dock.
- On the top bar, click "Finder" and select "Empty Trash...", then confirm emptying the trash. At this point, you've uninstalled League of Legends and are ready for a fresh install.
Installing League of Legends
- After downloading the installer from our website, locate the .dmg file in your Downloads folder.
(In this example, we've downloaded the NA Mac Client)
- Double click on the .dmg and you will see the following window appear
- Drag and drop League of Legends.app to the Applications folder. Do
notrun League of Legends.app from this window.
- Close the .dmg window
- Navigate to your Applications folder, and then run League of Legends (Note: Do not drag and drop League of Legends to the Dashboard). The patcher will appear.
Players often run League of Legends.app from the window that appears when first mounting the .dmg.
Failing to drag and drop League of Legends.app to the Applications folder will result in the following error:
Moving League of Legends.app to the Applications folder prior to launching the game will prevent this error.
A note on Mac's Case-Sensitive File System
In some cases, if you download the game from https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/cs/signup/redownload you will see the following error:
This happens due to an issue with the Mac’s Case-Sensitive File system. In order for the game to work, you will need to install it on a drive or partition that has a non-case-sensitive file system.
Unfortunately, Riot does not support installations on case-sensitive file systems at this time. There may be a solution available for this issue from Apple support at some point in the future. Here is a link to their support page: