Reporting and the Tribunal
The sword of justice has no scabbard - Kayle
Consistent post-game reports against a player will result in a Tribunal case. Reporting a player through the in-game system is the only way to ensure that such a case will face the Tribunal; reports sent to Player Support will not count against a player.
Bear in mind that the reporting feature is not meant to be used as a means of retaliation against a player. While we encourage Summoners to submit reports of violations of the Summoner's Code to the justice of the Tribunal, we do want all Summoners to exercise calm and humane judgment while doing so.
I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice. - Lux
If you are not sure whether you should report a particular player, we have made a few examples below that should help you reach an educated decision.
1) Report a Summoner that is being directly offensive:
2) Report a Summoner for socially offensive/explicit language
3) Report a Summoner for purposefully losing the game or empowering the enemy team through deliberate action
4) Report a Summoner for not focusing on the team aspect of the game
5) Report a Summoner for deliberately refusing to participate in the game
Here are examples of behavior that you should not report players for:
1) Do not report a Summoner for making mistakes or poor judgment calls during the game
2) Do not report a Summoner for using strong but non-derogatory terms to emphasize an event in the game
3) Do not report a Summoner for tactical disagreements
4) Do not report a Summoner for not speaking the same language
5) Do not report a Summoner for not sticking to the metagame
Mute, Ignore and Language Filter Features
We have additional features in the game that are designed to limit your exposure to negative experiences caused by other people.
Typing /mute "Summoner name" or /ignore "Summoner name" will stop messages appearing from that Summoner (do not type the quotes themselves – here is an example of the command: /mute PictureOfHorse).
Also, you can enable the language filter in the game by turning it on the preferences menu.
If muting or ignoring a player doesn't stop the negative experience, please use the reporting feature.
Clicking the exclamation mark in the post-game chat, or right clicking the offensive Summoner will give you the option to report them. Reports are used in our Tribunal system, where reported players are judged by their fellow Summoners.
You will then be able to report the player for various negative behaviors:
- Harassment: Offensive Language - This category aims at punishing language that employs vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically, and otherwise objectionable language.
- Harassment: Verbal Abuse - This category aims at punishing language that is directly targeted at another player in order to hurt, insult, or intimidate them.
- Griefing: Intentional Feeding – This category aims at punishing behavior that involves deliberately dying to enemy champions or turrets to make the opposing team more powerful while putting your team at a disadvantage. This is not intended for genuine mistakes or lapses of judgment!
- Griefing: Assisting Enemy Team – This category aims at punishing behavior that involves deliberate collaboration with the enemy team, i.e. by providing them with positional/tactical information that they would have no access to otherwise.
- Refusing to Communicate with Team - This applies to any Summoner that refuses to use chat or pings. Please note that this is not meant to be used in cases of language barrier!
- Leaving the Game/AFK - This category aims at punishing behavior that includes logging out before a match ends as well as standing idle for long periods of time and refusing to participate.
- Negative Attitude - This category is reserved for unhelpful or self-centered attitudes that go against the principles of a team-based game.
- Inappropriate Name - Select this option if you see a Summoner name that is falsely indicative of an association with Riot Games, contains personally identifying information, infringes on the proprietary rights of third parties, or that is offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable. This also applies if the name uses a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent this restriction on Summoner name choices.
- Spamming - This category aims at punishing behavior that disrupts the flow of conversation with repeated postings of a similar nature.
- There is also a special report category which does not create a Tribunal case:
- Unskilled Player - If you feel that a Summoner is not playing on par with the skill level implied by the matchmaking system, you can use this report.
Please bear in mind that constantly reporting Summoners for violations of the code that they did not commit could result in your account being suspended due to the abuse of the reporting system. If the context of the report is not immediately obvious to someone who was not in the game, please use the text box to clarify your report or add extra detail. While it is not mandatory to fill out, we strongly recommend that you provide the Tribunal with additional context on the situation – anything that you can add to the case will be reviewed by other Summoners, after all.